Saturday, February 28, 2009

Safety, Disability, Kids (again)

First there was the potential of someone randomly trying to assault youth near where my church is located. And then...

Yesterday I went to the jewelry store to pick up earrings and get a new chain for my necklace. I wheeled up to the counter with my 6 year old daughter and some guy was there with a receipt. He was upset--yelling profanities, pounding the counter hard. They asked him to leave. More profanities--"I don't have $3000!!!" I'm not sure what the issue was. I was hoping he didn't have a gun because he seemed either ready to hit someone or ready to pull a gun. They asked him to leave 2 more times. I took my earrings and went to the other room.

He left (not sure when) without firing a gun. So I asked the sales people if they were worried about something like that. They said they were ready to call the police and that the police are really fast to get there (since they're a jewelry store). All I could think was that, no matter how fast police are, it does not take long to fire a gun and there were 5 of us right there. Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I have never felt so vulnerable.

I had someone accompany me to my car and the guy was still in the parking lot. Good to be accompanied when the wheelchair spots were in an unlit area and off by themselves, and then there was me in the wheelchair and my miracle daughter.

I'm not sure what to think of all this. It's a scary world. These aren't good economic times. And that can lead to scary situations.

No comments: