Sunday, February 1, 2009

Today--one of the best days of my life

Well, before today, this past week was horrible. So I thought of calling this post inclusion trumps exclusion. So, the inclusion part.

This morning, my daughter and I headed to Breckenridge where I, or we, ski. I've been thinking that I am resigned to falling a bunch every time I do the blue level (intermediate). I completely panic. But not today. Today I listened to Charlie (my instructor, but more of a friend), and just did what he said, and it worked! The impossible becomes possible, after a ferocious MS attack, after a bad week at work. This didn't make it happen (well, not exactly), but last night I talked to God--I guess that's what it's called--maybe contemplative prayer. I asked God to let me let go of the past week, and to be a part of the inclusive environment of the adaptive center, to help me let go of my panic. Then my daughter, who is almost 6, and I did a run together (green--beginner). She is awesome--has no fear-fast! That from a girly-girl! and the inclusion--I feel so myself there--so welcomed, such a part of it all. Everyone is welcomed and a part, no matter what their disability--accommodations are made, and everyone is challenged. It's like a home.

And the exclusion. Not today. Today I celebrate inclusion, being a part of something, feeling welcomed, loved, and when I did something I thought I would never do, I feell c elebrated. Thanks be to God for helping to let go of the past for a day, for helping me let go of panic, for helping me to see that people with disabilities are included, valued, loved, and celebrated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good - and must be great to be able to get out of the house!

Any serious chronic illness is high stress. Having a child must add to the stress - but maybe in some ways it's helpful.

For eleven years I was able to continue working as an elementary school counselor as my health declined. Not having children myself, I didn't get the stress of worrying about the effects of my illness on my own child. But I did get the benefit of working with children who were too young to really understand what I was going through.

Which for me was kind of a stress reliever - for me to lose myself in the world of their problems instead of mine.