Friday, May 14, 2010

Disability and poverty

Today, I was one of a few people asked:
"Do you know anyone who can do a presentation on culturally competent care for people who have disabilities and are also economically disadvantaged?"

It was asked as if this is not a common thing - perhaps something new out there.

Do I know anyone?

Let me think. I don't think having someone "present" on this is the best option. I think the best option is to get a panel of people. Rather than have one person come, get people with different viewpoints. And get people from the population. If you want to know something about someone, talk to the someone. Don't get another person who is an "expert" on the "someone" to come talk. It may be ok, but it's not the best option.

So, do I know people who could be on this panel? Of course. Unfortunately, poverty for people with disabilities is high. A high percentage of people who are homeless are also people with disabilities. If you suddenly get a disability, it turns your world upside down and you may find yourself without any set of finances. That's what I'm told.

I have a few friends who almost became homeless and one may still be struggling. I know many people who are very poor due to their disability.

So we could have the panel, or there are plenty of volunteer opportunities.

This could be "fun." Hopefully, someone will listen.

No comments: