Monday, March 15, 2010

Here, there, everywhere...

If someone were to come clean all my stuff everywhere, they would discover this thing I do. They would find that, if they look one way, there's probably a Bible verse cut out and stuck to something. Or another way there may be a verse, hymn, or prayer lying on a table. There's a prayer taped to the side of my printer which is specially formatted, because I found it on the Internet and made it look better. One on my nightstand, my favorite verse (Romans 5) staring at me in our office at home. They're mostly cut from church bulletins or quickly printed from the Internet. At first, when I find these, they are each so important, but then they get a bit forgotten amidst clutter. The great thing is, since there's one hidden seemingly everywhere, I get these surprises when I open a drawer that hasn't been opened for awhile, or when I glance toward something I haven't in awhile.

I just got off the phone with my rehab doctor. He's my favorite doctor in the world, who always makes me laugh while at the same time takes all my concerns seriously and addresses each of them. I had a whole list of notes on what I need to know to help recover after my shoulder is carved (Jack-o-Lantern?). He was able to talk through all of these - we'll do this, we'll get you this, you'll just have to deal with this... Rather than telling me how much time I should take off, he asks me how much time I want off, because he knows I'll want less time than he would be willing to give me. And then he also gave me the name of a book to read. Bonus! Better order that!

So, I got off the phone and glanced. What's that piece of paper over there on my desk? It's been just sitting there, probably for at least 6 months. It says:

"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake
in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult."
Psalm 46: 1-3

I think I'll keep cutting those verses. Thanks be to God.

No comments: