Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"It's the love we remember..."

... "but no one knows where the river flows." (James Hersch)

Today is our wedding anniversary, and is a special day because it is the day that we truly became a family.

People ask how long we have been married.

I say we have been together for 12 years now.

If I say how long we have been married, will people judge us?

If I say how long we have been married will it change how certain people treat us?

If I say how long we have been married, will people make assumptions?

The week before we got married, I remember Pastor Joe, our pastor then, discovering we were going to get married.

I regret not having or asking a pastor who I knew, like Pastor Joe, marry us because I was afraid of being judged. That is my biggest regret.

Fear of judgement, treatment, assumptions.

"Love one another."

No one knows where the river flows.

Dave and I began our relationship 12 years ago.

We became a family when we got married.

But mostly, it's the love throughout the whole 12 years that I remember.

No comments: