Saturday, October 11, 2008

Insensitivity and thanks

This past Monday I was sitting waiting for my daughter to finish dance class, when I was overhearing this woman talking, then with another guy, and oh, so hard to keep my mouth shut! She was talking about doing some craft fair, how next time she's going to use the "handicapped parking" (when are we going to call it "accessible parking???") because of all the steps. Then she went on--her knee hurts--maybe she should get a knee replacement, her rotator cuff hurts, and there was something else--blah, blah, blah. Then she went on--had gone to some stadium--this is where the guy seemed to chime in with agreement. She was about to leave and the cleaning people were coming in and they looked homeless. And the guy was in agreement with this.

Come on! So I was sitting there with my walker--you think nothing hurts for me? You think you have it so rough and then can pick on people who are out there, working hard. As I said in my last post, I've been listening! I think maybe people should be more thankful for what they DO have, and thankful to hard-working people who are cleaning up their mess. Maybe this lady should be thankful she CAN walk. She was probably the one who parked in the ONLY accessible spot last week, so I sat in my car during dance. Then the comment about the people--I am thankful there are people out there who work hard given they might have a difficult life.

This kind of goes with a company picnic I attended a few years ago--thank goodness I left that dept! There were 2 clicky people who saw a homeless guy and were sure they saw him urinating and were just "Can you believe that?" about the whole thing. And then someone else made a comment that he must have some kind of mental problem. Again, why rip on him instead of thinking of how you can maybe help him.

So in rapidly typing this brainstorm, I won't list all my complaints although the past week has been tough and filled with stress. I will say I'm thankful for my family, and for my wonderful 5 year old daughter who has her moments, but is a true blessing. I am thankful that I still work, so our family has money. I am thankful that we can live comfortably. I am thankful for friends and family. I am thankful for an awesome doc I have, so when times are tough, he gives me his direct work, home, and personal cell phone numbers. And I'm so very thankful for anyone who asks if I need help, even if I don't, because I know they care. I'm thankful for those who offer and give help when I am struggling. And I am thankful for Willy, from some posts back, because I know he prays for me and keeps me in his prayers, and doesn't forget about me. I hope he is doing well.

Faith, love, peace, and hope. All very important.

No comments: