Sunday, June 8, 2008

Child of God

"And Jesus got up and followed him, with his disciples. Then suddenly a woman who had been suffering from hemorrahages for 12 years came up behind him and touched the fringe of his cloak, for she said to herself, If I touch his cloak, I will be made well. Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, 'Take heart daughter; your faith has made you well.' And instantly the woman was made well." (Matthew 9:20-22)

This was the gospel reading for today. The sermon that went along with it was intriguing and made me think of my life, where I'm most comfortable, where I belong, and where I always belong, as a child of God. But back to where we belong--so where we are most comfortable. Of course, these days I feel most comfortable among people with disabilities, but a subset of those--those who are interested in athletics, upbeat, and like to have fun. The handcycling festival in the mountains is coming up and I am so excited about that--to see all my buddies again, be athletically challenged, laugh, and overall, have fun. And then there's the group where I guess I should feel like I belong but I don't; and that group would be the MS group. I'm a part of that group because I have MS; I don't really fit that group because my MS is so different. Study after study comes that just doesn't seem to fit me, and then I tend to get frustrated. But maybe I want to be my own MS club. Regardless of all the places where I feel most comfortable; most comfortable among those people where I feel I belong, there is a fact. As a child of God, I know that God cares for me, so even if I am somewhere different, not feeling that I belong, God will always care for me. This reading then seems less about Jesus healing the sick, then about being a child of God.

Peace.

No comments: