Monday, October 3, 2011

A river runs through it

Just diagnosed with MS, I returned home to Colorado for spring break. I went to one of my favorite spots - a stream in a park - and just watched.

I noticed that there were times when the stream changed course or slowed, but it never stopped. I could throw a branch in the stream and it would wander, changing course, slowing, gaining momentum, or getting completely stuck. But it never gave up.

From this I took a lesson: one should not give up. For me, it's perhaps the battle with MS. I'm the little twig stuck trying to weave my way through the stream which has branches everywhere, and rarely is there an open area. It's not just the ravages of MS that are the rocks and other branches that get in the way. It's life, people, relationships, work, school, stress, and on and on. The "normal" stuff, but it's made more difficult when the stream seems to be too small at times.

This weekend my daughter and I went on a bikeride - a brief break from this last, intense, interesting semester of school.

She stopped next to a stream. There were big rocks and she could jump on them, crossing the stream, back and forth. She found her own twigs and branches and would throw them into the stream. Some would get stuck; others would continue until she could no longer see them. She enjoyed this. I enjoyed watching her freedom at throwing miscellaneous twigs and branches without a care in the world.

And we continued to ride, through the beautiful colors of the fall, through what she calls "leaf valley," under the "echo" bridge.

Life continues. It's beautiful no matter what gets in the way.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27)

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you took time to go on a bike ride in this beautiful weather!