Saturday, July 21, 2012

Aurora

A while back, I had thought of writing a blog entry on the city of Aurora, Colorado, and why I love it.  When I moved back to Colorado from Minnesota, I moved to Aurora and have worked there ever since.  I lived in an apartment in Aurora, and bought my first house there.  We moved out because my husband had been there so long and wanted something different.

I suppose what I like about Aurora is the diversity it brings.  Of course, this isn't everywhere and there are pockets, but it is there.  We have a prayer group in the building where I work, in Aurora, and it brings people of diverse backgrounds and even religions together in prayer.  For some reason, in Aurora people seem more willing to naturally offer help than in some other places.

The shooting rampage during Batman - in this city that I love even though I no longer live there, my work is not near the location and neither is my church (which is also in Aurora).  I don't know any of the victims.  I've been to the theater a handful of times...  when we lived there.  A medical office building where I go is very close, but there's no relation, really, to the theater, the victims, etc.

So, I wonder, why did I feel impacted by the shooting more than with other such "things?"  I don't know.  I found myself checking the news or staring into space most of the day.  It will never make sense.

I think, once I broke through the staring phase today and looked again at the news, what I realized is this.  Aurora is a strong community, and Colorado as a state is a strong community.  We have firefighters, police officers, paramedics, physicians, nurses, counselors, and many other people who seem to pull together during times like this.  We have an amazing governor who is everywhere, doing all he can.  We have so many people who want to help.

It's Colorado.  It's Aurora.  It's many places.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by the tragedy.  Thanks to all those who have helped, in any way they can.

In times like this, people will say faith can help people immensely.  I think that's true.  It's time to be in relationship with God, to allow oneself to pause, to be still, to take a step back.

"Be still and know I am God.
Be still and know I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Just Be.
Be...
Be...
Be..."

Peace.

No comments: